[xubuntu-users] How to change keys e.g. [ ]

Wybo Dekker wybo at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 29 11:44:46 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-28 23:14, James Freer wrote:
> [UK keyboard]
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could advise how i can swop the [ ]
> brackets for ( ). I virtually never use the square brackets and find
> always doing SHIFT + ( or ) a pain. Ok a minor thing but i just find
> it irritating as i seem to use ( ) quite a lot in writing. I don't
> know where to look - i can change some of the other keys like the CTRL
> for CAPSLOCK (popular i gather for emacs users) through
> Panel->Keyboard Layouts.

Use Keyboards Layouts once to set what you like. Then remove it - it's
buggy. Then:

xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap
then edit .Xmodmap, replacing:
1. all paren with XXX
2. all bracket with paren
3. all XXX with bracket
finally run :
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap # takes 15 seconds

> I was wondering if one could put an alias in the bashrc which would be
> useful as i keep a backup for new releases as i have quite a few
> aliases already.

not needed as long as you keep the .Xmodmap in your home directory

--
Wybo