[xubuntu-users] Question

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:02:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Jack <arkiedriver at gmail.com> wrote:
> One more dumb question.
> I have several rarely used items on these desktop icons that I would like to
> put into
> one desktop icon/folder to clean up the desktop. I have created a folder but
> can't get the icons to move into it.

Hi
> Drag and drop does not work.
Yes it does... but not perhaps how you're expecting. I'm on Xubuntu
10.04 [just about to upgrade to 12.04 once i've sorted out a whole
load of things].

Try the following:
Right click->Create folder->drag & drop will COPY desktop files into
the new folder
I imagine this is what you haven't noticed. If you go into Thunar
you'll find that it's probably easier to open the Desktop folder there
and Cut & paste... that's what i tend to do. Try that as well.

Welcome to Xubuntu BTW. I started with version 9.** and i have to say
i love it. It does lots of things slightly different to Ubuntu but is
highly configurable and less bloat.
e.g. if you want to change the Capslock and Control keys around. You
can't go to the menu like you can in Ubuntu (think that's right but
it's so long since i looked at Ubuntu!) but you can go to the Panel
and add items, and there's one for keyboard layouts.

Congratulations on seeing "the light" - Enjoy!

james