[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu wireless sensivity vs. Window

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 31 03:09:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Lee Gold <leegold at operamail.com> wrote:
> Using latest version of Xubuntu. On WinXP when the native app scans for
> Wifi networks I get about 15. In the same place Xubuntu (Wicd) shows 1
> to 3 access points. What could cause this wide discrepancy?

I don't have experience with Windows so I'm not sure, but some devices
are quite generous about what they believe is actually "in range" - of
those 15 in WinXP, could you actually get signal from all of them
which would allow you to connect?

It may also be the driver for your wireless card, I found it got worse
signal in general in Linux because the open source driver I was using
for my card on my old laptop wasn't as good as the closed source one,
I switched to the closed source one and it got much better. What card
do you have?

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com