[xubuntu-users] Abiword & Libreoffice writer -- "jitters"

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 21:48:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM, John Thompson <john at stolat.os2.dhs.org> wrote:
> On 2012-12-19, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> I experienced such issues already years ago IIRC for OpenOffice, AbiWord
>> and Evolution and perhaps other apps too, e.g. text became invisible,
>> you need to scroll or to mark the invisible text, to make it visible.
>>
>> At the moment I notice that very often some characters are missing. Do I
>> type less good at the moment? Is the hardware broken? Or is it buggy
>> software?
>
> Perhaps a video driver issue? Is there another driver that supports
> your video hardware you could try (perhaps reverting temporarily to
> generic VGA) to test this hypothesis?
>
> --
>
> -John (john at os2.dhs.org)

Good suggestion - i've got a spare video card. The one being used is
the on board one. i have to admit that i've had yet another 'jitter'
on Libreoffice. I was typing a letter and then the 's' on the end of a
word took a nosedive until i'd typed a few more words and it then
disappeared. A whole sentence hasn't disappeared again.

I have found a "compromise" - strangely enough if i save as an rtf in
either abiword or LO-writer then no problems (so far!). I'm no geek
but it does seem that there is a problem in 12.04 with the screen...
i.e. graphical window maybe or as you say the video card.

I just wish there was a console word processor again! Someone would
love to point a gun at me but dear wordstar was the most efficient on
typing and that's why many professional writers still use it (but
windows only).

james