[xubuntu-users] How to configure two monitors on a laptop with Intel graphics (Arrandale chipset)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 06:45:58 UTC 2012

On 08/05/2012 07:44 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I just replaced my Lucid Ubuntu with Precise Xubuntu on my laptop.  I
> ran two monitors before, but I don't seem to know what app I need to
> configure them in Xubuntu, and I'm getting the same image on both
> monitors.
>
> If I right-click the desktop and choose "desktop settings" I get a
> dialog box that knows I have two monitors and offers to configure
> backgrounds, menus and icons for them separately (but since I'm
> getting a single image, this does not work).
>
> My desktop has nVidia, which has its own setting manager.  The Ubuntu
> setup on this laptop had a different utility, but I don't want to have
> to restore that backup just to find its name.

You still have to use the nVidia settings manager (nvidia-settings) to
enable "twinview". The usual desktop settings manager doesn't do squat.
Make sure that when you have it configured that you save it using "Save
to X Configuration File" in the lower right hand corner of the "X Server
Display Configuration" tab ... which is also where you pick "Twinview".
Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html