[xubuntu-users] Ramdisk usage (tmpfs)

Jörg Roesinger chromefox at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 17:42:02 UTC 2012

Hi list!

I've been testing Xubuntu 12.04 for 2 weeks on my Samsung N220 Plus
Netbook (upgraded to 2 gb RAM) now. I downloaded the daily builds a
few times and played around with several programs, tools and tweaks to
get the system to my personal "perfect" status. When the final release
comes out, I'll just work down my list and get productive. :)

One thing I am unsure atm is the Ramdisk usage. What I do right now is:

    sudo leafpad /etc/fstab

then I enter the following lines at the end:

  #RAMDISK
  tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

this creates a dynamic Ramdisk for the /tmp folder, so my harddisk
gets less read/writes, the system overall speed increases and
temporary data gets deleted on every downtime, freeing up the disk
space. Also I have set my Firefox cache onto the Ramdisk, speeding up
the load time of websites critically.

What I would like to know now is, what folders can I add safely to the
ramdisk to improve further (if at all)? I have read that the whole
/var folder should remain untouched, even /var/tmp. Is that true?

Greetings,

Joerg

--
"... and that's how I saved Earth and am the greatest!"