[xubuntu-users] Seamonkey--worthy of consideration in Xubuntu?

kelly kelly at chiefsez.com
Fri Aug 19 21:06:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:54:42 -0400
Robin <dixiedancer at gmail.com> wrote:

> James Freer wrote: Following the discussion on Replacing Gimp i was
> wondering if anyone uses Seamonkey. <raises hand enthusiastically> I
> do! I love it! It is the default choice in the ultra-light Puppy
> Linux distro too, because it is a nice lightweight combination that
> "acts like" Firefox and Thunderbird. Not over-developed, not slow nor
> heavy. Many Firefox extensions work in SeaMonkey as well. Mozilla
> took over the maintenance and development after Netscape let it go.
> It is much more like Firefox and Thunderbird now than the old
> Netscape Navigator/Communicator suite, but much eassier on resources
> than it's more popular siblings. They call it "Iceape" in Debian.
> Considering Xubuntu is meant for lighter/faster use or older PC i was
> wondering what folk thought and maybe this could be fed back to
> developers. I actually have a new machine but xubuntu is my choice
> mainly based on the minimal flavour. I might have asked for Midori as
> a web browser until I tried it. While it's certainly lightweight and
> fast, it crashes constantly and I have read that frequent crashes are
> an ongoing issue for many other Midori users as well.
>
> -Robin

I use Chromium.  It seems to work just fine.  My only gripe with it is
Flash is part of the package by default.  And Flash has all kinds of
bad license problems.

I too have a fairly new machine, lots of power, lots of memory.  I just
hate bloat.  The lighter, the sleeker, the faster, the less code
(meaning less problems) are what I want.

--
krp
0x8BCBFAB0