[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 10.10: Parole Media Player cannot play flac format audio

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Fri Apr 1 08:41:13 UTC 2011

On 04/01/2011 02:49 AM, alex ong wrote:
> Can someone let me know how to make parole media player play flac format aufio files?  And why it cannot play a DVD. Keep hanging. I am using P3 550mHz by the way. Thanks in advance.

Parole uses gstreamer. The gstreamer flac decoder is included in the
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good package which should be installed by default.
If the problem is it opening in Exaile instead of Parole, you can right
click one of the files, click properties and choose Open With: Parole
Media Player in the pull down menu. This should cause all flac files to
open with Parole.

The gstreamer dvdread plugin is included in gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly.

In order to play encrypted DVDs you need to install libdvdcss2, which
can be installed by running:

   sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

You must have installed the plugins-ugly first for this folder to exist.

DVD playback is hard on a computer, if it is still jittery or hanging it
may be due to the speed of the processor, I hope it was just missing a
plugin though.

 -Steve