[xubuntu-users] USB problems

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 2 18:51:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Lee Gold wrote:

> I'm having continued problems with USB thumb drives. I want to plug it in
> and have it work. Eg. I try to paste a file to it and it doesn't work. All
> the permissions are owned by root on the drive. How do I config it to work
> when I plug it in.

Lee,

   I assume that it would work the same way as it does on a Slackware system,
even when udev detects the device. Make the device known by adding it to
/etc/fstab.

   If you tail /var/log/messages when you insert the thumb drive you'll see
the device assignment. Use that (and it may well differ among different USB
flash drives) as the device name. For example, on my server/workstation I
have:

/dev/sda1        /mnt/thumb       vfat        noauto,users     0   0
/dev/sda         /mnt/meizu       vfat        noauto,users     0   0

   Each device identified as sda1 I mount on /mnt/thumb; if it's sda I mount
it on /mnt/meizu (my mp3 plyer).

HTH,

Rich