[xubuntu-users] Upgrading to newer version

mischa falkenburg because_productions at myfairpoint.net
Sun May 9 18:49:25 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Well, I've never seen the likes of this...perhaps you have and can help
with a solution.
I was going "up" to 9.10...after the install (no error messages), or
boot (ditto) when the Grub screen came on, here's what I saw:

GNU GRUB version 1.97~beta 4

Next a flashing bar on "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic"
Pressing Enter led to :

error: no such device: 83adab12-732b-436c-a56f-43944e3ec6b5
Press any key..., etc.

If I chose the (recovery) line underneath, I would see the same
information. Trying to use a disk for either recovery or even, System
Rescue, would show the initial (I'm not sure) boot or splash screen, but
then where you would usually press Enter to select or boot, nothing
would happen. If there was supposed to be a blinking cursor, there was a
"dead" cursor and hence, no response.
Somewhat frustrated, I was even trying to go the DBAN route...to start
from total scratch. But the box wouldn't let me select  floppy(which
holds my copy of DBAN) for the bootup sequence.  Just frozen nothing.

Right now I have a working version of 8.04 (albeit with Network issues)
running.

Ideas, anyone?

Mischa