[xubuntu-users] LogIn failure

John Alfred Nathanael Chee cheecheeo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 06:44:07 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 14:41, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:36:00 -0500
> "T H Stearns" <thomasstearns at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Sirs:
>>
>> I changed  the resolution from 1024/1027 to something like 800/600 and got a
>> blank white screen---no icins, no tool bars no cursor. I re-booted and now
>> cannot log in--continuous loop of inserting password, clicking,
>> blinking/fluttering and again the password request.  I can get into Terminal
>> from before the log-in---what do I do?
>
> Please do not just change an existing subject for a new issue. Please
> click on "new" or "compose" in the email program and begin a completely
> new message for each issue. This message thread is already in use as
> "subject: 7z files in Thunar". Changing the subject to anything else
> will make future research of either subject very difficult.
>
> Also, since many users use a proper threaded mail program, if you
> change the subject instead of starting a new message, you will not be
> able to get help.
>
> Thanks.

Charlie,

I do not think a new subject needs to be started concerning this
issue. I'm not sure if this on my end or yours but I'm seeing 3
separate threads (Subjects: Display problem, Log In Failure, and LogIn
failure) started concerning this problem. I'm using the
unsophisticated web based gmail, but for all other mailing lists I'm
subscribed to it handles threaded conversations fine.

T H,

Please, stop creating new subjects. I think the list has been informed
of your problem under the 3 separate threads (except perhaps Charlie).

I've never heard of such a problem (except maybe your monitor can't
handle the lower resolution).

Try this though: when you get to the log in screen, Select your user,
then on the bottom, there should be a 'Session' field, click the
drop-down menu and select 'xterm', then type in your password, and
login, you should be presented with a terminal.

Once, there enter the following commands into the terminal:

$ mv .config/xfce4 DOTconfig_xfce4
$ mv .cache/xfce4 DOTcache_xfce4
$ exit

That should log you out, then log back in, remembering to change the
Session field to 'Xfce4 Session' after you select your user but before
you enter your password.

Those two commands should give you a stock xfce4 session back.

--
Love in Jesus Christ, John Alfred Nathanael Chee
http://www.biblegateway.com/