[xubuntu-users] how to turn off desktop popups

Tue Aug 3 10:24:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Lee Gold <leegold at operamail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This seems new in 9 and 10. I get these pop-ups, like updates available,
> you are connected, or a volume slider. Sometimes they have an logo that's an
> "i" - I guess meaning info. They are relatively small and appear in the
> upper right corner of my desktop.
>
> IMO they get in my way. How do i turn these notices/reminder off?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lee G.

Hi Lee,

These are provided by notify-osd, which you can uninstall. You might also
want to check the autostarted applications for e.g. the update notifier
which you can then disable to speed up Xubuntu.

Note that if you uninstall notify-osd, you will get no notifications at all,
from any application that uses libnotify.

Best,
--
Vincent