[xubuntu-users] 9.04 Upgrade: Lost Network Connectivity & Power Off

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 4 18:43:57 UTC 2009

   Last week I asked here for guidance on upgrading my wife's Toshiba Tecra
8000 from 8.04 to 9.04 and got a lot of help. The upgrade to 8.10 went well,
but I had to wait more than 5 hours (that is, overnight) before the upgrade
manager recognized the availability of 9.04. Friday I did that upgrade.

   However, the Lucent Orinoco Gold wireless pcmcia card is no longer
recognized; it worked flawlessly under 8.04. I've apparently not presented
the proper search terms to Google since I cannot find relevant information.

   Loaded modules include: pcmcia, yenta_socket, and pcmcia_core. No orinoco
or other wireless networking modules. Network interfaces shown by 'ifconfig
-a' are irda0, lo, and pan0. Running '/etc/init.d/networking start' fails to
bring up eth0, eth1, or eth2. If I boot with the pcmcia ethernet card (no
built in port on this model), it works; that's how I upgraded from 8.10 to
9.04. But, my wife works in the den and connects to the LAN by radio.

   How do I proceed to get the wireless card recognized and the networking
going once again?

   The other issue is that while shutdown halts the system it no longer turns
off the power. How do I regain that capability?

TIA,

Rich