[xubuntu-users] .rm files (Real Media, I assume)

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:46:43 UTC 2009

Hello Mischa,

Actually, Amarok is a KDE music player, it will only play music, but the
good news is that some GTK players (that will look much better and will use
less memory) are also capable of reading the same files as Amarok : Exaile,
Rhythmbox and Banshee are a few of the most famous ones.

If you need a media player that can be almost anything, you already have
Totem installed, just make sure to install the "xubuntu-restricted" package
that installs all the available codecs (which we can't ship by default due
to possible copyright issues).

If you really need a media player that can play anything, try VLC. There
only are two kind of files it can't play : Old Quicktime files and
RealPlayer files. I fear your .rm file enters in the latter category. The
only advice I can give you is to avoid these kind of files, as they can only
be played with their respective players, which are proprietary and somewhat
controversial.