[xubuntu-users] Free CD distribution program for Xubuntu

Todd Robinson todd at webpath.net
Fri Jul 24 20:27:53 UTC 2009

Hello World! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

The guys from the #xubuntu-devel IRC channel sent me over to get some
community feedback before taking any "official" action such as linking
it from xubuntu.org.  (Gotta love a distribution that asks your opinion
first.)

The short version is that a couple of months ago we hosted a small back
yard dinner party and one of the developers asked if we might be able to
supply "Ship It" type support for Xubuntu. Since that time other
distributions have also inquired about the possibility.

It just so happens that the end of July, and through most of August,
only a small portion of our production equipment is used, so I couldn't
think of any better time to give it a shot and see how it goes. Since it
was someone from Xubuntu who asked first, I felt it only fair we start
with Xubuntu.

I've spent a couple of days running the numbers over and over, and
working out details to the point where I'm fairly confident we can make
this work. I've posted a wiki page with all the details here:
http://on-disk.com/cms/index.php?wiki=Quick_Ship_Free_Disc_Service
The actual listing went up about an hour ago:
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/858

For those not familiar with On-Disk.com, we have been very active in the
Open Source community for a number of years. We are the "Official" media
vendor for over 50 different distributions (yes, even for Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase/north-america), have set the
standard for Live Media production (Flash Drives, SD Cards, CF Cards),
etc. We were selected by the One Laptop Per Child organization and
Fedora to supply the Fedora 10 SD cards for the previous Give 1 Get 1
promotion...and if I have my way we'll have F11 for the XO on SD cards
within a week. We are also, contrary to the appearance, a small
home-based family business, so if you were wondering why we can't afford
to foot the bill for shipping costs, this is why.

If anyone has any problems obtaining the free disc please let me know so
I can troubleshoot the process. I did have to make a few adjustments to
our site to get this lined up, and it's very possible I could have
missed something.

Thank you,
Todd