[xubuntu-users] ?? "Supported In Installed System"

Thu Jan 1 18:17:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Evan Murri <elm1688 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use a Wifi adapter on an IBM Thinkpad.
>
> In the Ubuntu Documentation, at the following web location:
>

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsAirlink101
>
> there is a list of Wifi cards (by Manufacture), that have been tested to
> work with Ubuntu.
>
> Please note that there is a grid detailing various categories of
> installation
> procedures required.  One of the headings of the grid is entitled
> "Supported In Installed System."  I don't understand what "Supported In
> Installed System" means.  Apparently there is some sort of "installation"
> that it is referring to, but I don't know what.
>
> Could you kindly explain what procedures and/or installations are required
> to use a Wifi card that is identified as being able to work under that
> category.
>
> Thank you,
> Evan Murri

I'm guessing that this refers to being able to use it in an installed
system, as opposed to when running from a LiveCD. For example, when a card
works "out of the box" that means you can use it on the LiveCD, however,
when it doesn't but *is* supported in an installed system, you might be
required to perform some manual procedures to get it to work (which might,
for example, involve rebooting which would mean you wouldn't be able to do
this while running in a LiveCD environment considering you'd lose your
configuration).

--
Vincent