[xubuntu-users] Screen Resolution

David J. Ellis dr.ellis at physics.org
Sun Dec 20 22:31:46 GMT 2009

> If you use 'Hardware Drivers' it should install the correct
> nVidia driver for you.
>
> --
> Steve

Thanks - I had been digging deeper and already found that one but it put me
into a deeper hole. It offered only the one driver - revision 96.43.10 -
which installed fine but then I was left with an even more restricted
display resolution of only 640 x 480. nVidia's display settings tool allows
you to select between the two resolutions it lists - the other was even less
- but no apparent way to add/create any higher resolution. (I checked the
nVidia website and they have a version 96.43.14 now but I doubt such a minor
rev change like that will have any impact on what follows.)

I next reverted the system by removing the nVidia driver and got xrandr to
apparently add a new resolution into the default display resolutions:

davidellis at Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x600        60.0*    56.0
   640x480        60.0
   400x300        60.0     56.0
   320x240        60.0
   1024x768_60.00   59.9

(I decided to be a little cautious and just experiment with something fairly
basic like 1024x768 that I would expect to be supported.) However, I could
not get the new resolution to 'load'.

davidellis at Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768_60.00
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed

I then tried to just swap between the resolutions initially offered and got
the following errors, although the screen resolution did in fact change
despite these errors. It seems those errors would imply I have something
misconfigured or am doing something I shouldn't be doing:

davidellis at Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 640x480
X Error of failed request:  163
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  29 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  22

davidellis at Tyranoweasel:~$ xrandr --output default --mode 800x600
X Error of failed request:  163
  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  29 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  21

I'm guessing that trying to change the default is not the correct approach.
I went back to putting in the nVidia driver which only offers a maximum of
640x480. (Tough to do much as you can only see part of the windows!) I tried
using xrandr again but only got a similar result. (The only display listed
seems to be "default" and that doesn't like being changed).

Is it possible to add higher resolutions manually somehow? I realize that
nVidia is a proprietary driver but it seems it should have a configuration
file somewhere that stores the resolutions, bit depth and refresh rate so
that alternatives could be added. The resolutions were not in xorg.conf.

Anyone out there using an nVidia rev 96 who knows where I should start
looking?