[xubuntu-users] Where to set up XkbOptions in 9.10 (for accented characters etc.)

Mon Dec 7 15:45:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:17:55 +0000
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 08:03:24AM -0700, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> /etc/default/console-setup

> > > That should be available automatically. When I install Xubuntu, I
> > > choose the keyboard layout as alternate international US. That makes
> > > the right-alt key the compose key. It sets it in /etc/default. When I
> > > am in X, the right and left shift keys do not allow the shifted keys
> > > without hitting space, since they are international keys. If I type a
> > > double quote, and do not hit space, it appears over the next letter, as
> > > in รค. This makes the compose key less useful, since it is automatic. I
> > > did have to learn to hit the space bar to keep from using all the
> > > internation letters, though.
> > >
> > I don't quite follow what you're saying.
> >
> > Are you saying that when you hit the shift key then nothing appears
> > until you hit space?  That doesn't work for me, when I hit SHIFT plus
> > 2 I just get a ".  What do you do when you want to type a " followed
> > by some text?  E.g. something "in quotes"?
> >

> Okay, on my keyboard, " is above ' . When I hit ' nothing prints until
> I hit space or another key. The same thing happens when I hit SHIFT ' .
> Without hitting spacebar, I get an international character the same way
> I would if I used the compose key. If I hit the spacebar, I get the
> actual key instead.

You can fix that by choosing USA Internation (AltGr dead keys), which
ensures that only the right Alt key can be used in combination with
something else to create an internation character, so that you can still
type those yet use the " without having to enter Space as well.

Cheers,

--
Vincent