[xubuntu-users] Running Ubuntu or Xubuntu with 550 Mhz and 186 MB RAM?

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Tue Oct 21 12:38:04 BST 2008

Hello again Bas,

Bas Roufs wrote:
>> you might also consider the Ubuntu minimal CD image
>> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD). With this image, you can install only the packages you need.
>>
> This option looks interesting - I already bookmarked the link. Is this a
> viable way to use Ubuntu with:
> * a slow processor (+/- 550Mhz, Pentium II)
> * a small internal memory? (186 MB)
> * a limited disk space (< 4 GB)?
>

> With respect to this 'minimal CD image', a bit of other useful feedback
> came in.

The minimal CD doesn't install anything it doesn't *necessarily* need.
You have to install anything by yourself, but in this case it is an
advantage, of course. Therefore the performance of the installed system
is controllable by you.
>> Quick question about this method that we're advocating, how to you get
>> a minimal X environment?
>>

> What means 'X environment' in this context?

X environment is the graphical environment. You need to install a bunch
of packages to get a graphical environment.
>>   When I use the mini.iso I'm usually using the cli option to get
>> really lean.
>>

> What means 'cli option'?

CLI = command line interface. With this option you can control even more
the packages which will be installed. You are asked/offered this at
install time with minimal CD.
>> There is a lot of alternative Window Managers, which are even more light than any Desktop Environment (including Xfce), for example Openbox or Fluxbox. These need a bit more experience/hacking skills/time/configuring, but are also worth considering.
>>

> Thanks for this advise. I keep it in mind in case less complicated
> alternatives do not work.

See answer above; by installing Xfce you're using more performance than
with Openbox, for example. Choosing the correct DE/WM is quite a big
question, imho.
>> To the best of my knowledge the best fuxbox based linux running excellently on low spec linux is TinyME. Admittedly, it is not based on Ubuntu, but it is looking good, indeed.
>> http://www.tinymelinux.com/doku.php
>> http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/v/tinyme20080/
>>
> Also this alternative I keep in mind in case I do not manage to run the
> laptop with some minimal Ubuntu or Xubuntu configuration.

See again the answer above.
>> To the best of my knowledge, the live cd will not work with 128MB Ram. Installing from the alternate cd should work, I have installed on 128MB ram with it. It will run a bit slower (maybe a lot) slower than you are used to, and the install will take forever (maybe 2 hours). I have used openoffice and firefox on it, with evolution.
>>
> Does also Xubuntu have a so-called 'minimal CD image'?

The minimal CD image is same for all. The difference between Ubuntu and
Xubuntu is the DE but since it's not installed, the minimal CD would be
the same anyway.

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead