[xubuntu-users] VNC client runs program, VNC host prompts for password!

Josh Rubin jlrubin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:09:18 UTC 2008

I log into Xubuntu 8.04 and run tightvncserver - this is session :1.

I then use Tightvncviewer to connect from a computer running windows XP
Professional  This gives me a new session :2, which works fine for most
things.

When I run a program like Applications/System/Services that needs my
password, the password prompt appears on session :1 of the host machine!

This seems to kill my idea of using VNC to operate Ubuntu headless!

This message over on ubuntuforums.org has an attachment with console
transcripts, vnc logs, etc.

Josh Rubin <jlrubin at gmail.com>

Do you send all your mail on postcards?
Encryption is an envelope. Ask how to use
digital signatures and encryption.