[xubuntu-users] Re: Video weirdness with strange Xorg behavior

Ryan carbonfreeze at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:15:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:00:28 +0100
"Andrew Kane" <googoleyes at gmail.com> wrote:

~Snip~
>            Submitted for your consideration- do y'all think this
> machine's performance would improve if I switched to a 64MB GeForce2
> MX400, using the nvidia-glx-legacy driver? Would the putative
> performance be diminished by the use of a 32MB card (same model)
> instead? I'm not sure if the 64MB card works- I found it inside the
> machine when I opened it up, along with an old NCR SCSI card, a
> wristwatch, two 3/4'' brass washers, and about 40 pounds of dust
> bunnies. Oh, and a dime.

I think the blank xorg.conf is due to use of bulletproof X in Hardy.
I've got a radeon 7500 in this box, and it seems to run composite
effects better with EXA (driver defaults to XXA). IIRC the 9200 was one
of the last cards fully supported by the ati/radeon driver (2d & 3d
accel). Your slow video playback may be sorted by telling your video
app to use Xv as the output method.

My Hardy xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/f4ace86c0

'man radeon' should give you ati driver tunables.

With glxgears I get 700fps avg, with conky running on the desktop in
xfce.