[xubuntu-users] Modemlights - Seeing What Your Modem Does...

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:41:08 UTC 2008

On 06/03/2007, Irena and Richard Jenkins <richard.jenkins at internode.on.net>
wrote:

> I love Xubuntu 6.06 ... on my old celeron laptop (366MHz cpu and only 96
> Meg
> of RAM) ... and most of the time my three network interfaces can be made
> work reliably.  However, after setting up my modem for dialup ... and
> activating the connection ... I face a waiting period of maybe 90 sec ...
> before I have a connection and my browser can begin to load a homepage.
> There is nothing to tell me that the connection has been successful ...
> until
> I get to use it.
>
> No worries!  I'll download something called 'modemlights'.  This was a
> small
> download ... done over the ADSL connection at home.  Now ... how do I make
> it
> happen??
>
> I recognise its a Gnome applet ... but I don't seem able to make it work
> under
> XFce!!  Any ideas??

Well, GNOME applets, as the name says, are written for GNOME, not for Xfce.
However, it is possible to run GNOME applets in your Xfce panel using the
panel plugin xfapplet. Unfortunately, that plugin only became available in
version 6.10 of Xubuntu [1].

I don't want to drop my excellent network manager ... because it is so
> helpful
> deciding between my connection methods - dialup, adsl and wireless.
>
> Please can I have some help?
>

> Richard
>
> PS ... I found that my machine was not reliable under Edgy... IS Feisty
> proving better for older hardware??

That really depends on your hardware. In any case, I encourage you to give
7.10 a try (Gutsy), many report that it has a speed increase when compared
to 7.04 (Feisty). I'm not sure whether you'll be able to run the LiveCD
though, to test whether it works with your hardware.

> Irena and Richard Jenkins
> Canberra,  AUSTRALIA

[1]
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=xfapplet&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all