[xubuntu-users] Re-Partition My Harddrive

David Collins david.8.collins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 21:25:31 UTC 2008

Evan,

Using the GParted Live CD, you will be able to 'Grow' your partition.
Of course, to give you the usual warning - something could go wrong and
you could lose all your data - so backup anything important first.

(Although, gparted is available in Xubuntu, and can be installed using
Synaptic, it is best to use the Live CD - it is the latest version, and
booting off the Live CD allows you to work on your hard disk while no
systems are running on the hard disk.)

Download the latest stable release Gparted Live CD .iso and burn the
image to CD - if you use Brasero (in Xubuntu) that will be the 'Burn
Image' option.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

Boot up off the live Gparted CD.  You will be prompted several times
during the start-up sequence.  I use a US keyboard and I can just press
the ENTER key at all prompts.

You will eventually get a basic windowed environment and the GParted GUI
program will be running.  Look around you will see the options to shrink
and grow partitions.  Even after you choose to do something, nothing
happens until you press the 'Apply' button.  There will be plenty of
help available on GParted, itself.

Regards,
David Collins