[xubuntu-users] Problem With Desktop When Starting X

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 1 16:15:26 UTC 2008

   I put xubuntu-7.10 on my wife's Toshiba Techra 8000. Yesterday, when she
booted the system, X came up but the panel did not load. This happens
occasionally (only since xfce4), and is usually fixed (in other
distributions) by right-clicking on the desktop and opening a virtual
terminal.

   However, when I tried this, all I saw was a Xfce settings dialog box offering
to create a launcher as the best of four bad options. But, when I filled in
the command line with 'xterm', the OK button remained inactive.

   How do you suggest I access a console so I can manually start xfce4-panel
running in the background, and have the session manager re-incorporate it
for the next boot?

Rich