[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu testing update

graeme burton graeme_c_burton at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 19:33:21 UTC 2007

Hi Jim,

You're doing sterling work here.

I for one was happy to test and focused my efforts on the PPC platform, although of I've only been using Xubuntu for a couple of months. I did this as it was obviously not being done by many and on Henrik Omma's specific request for PPC testers.

However, with official support for PPC being withdrawn and after seeing evidence that many PPC specific bugs are not being fixed, it leaves me wondering what the future of *Ubuntu on PPC is. After spending a lot of time, effort and bandwidth downloading and then burning ISO images, it's pretty disheartening to find that it will not even boot. You don't even have the same virtualization options as x86, which makes life harder. I've also noticed that there's no longer a daily build for PPC, unlike other platforms. I therefore currently have little motivation to do any further testing until the future of the PPC distros becomes a lot clearer. It's not entirely clear to me whether there will even be a formal PPC release of Feisty.

A possible solution would be to give control of PPC repos to the *Ubuntu PPC community. Unfortunately, with many of packages being non-platform specific, but containing specific platform bugs this will probably be difficult to achieve. *Ubuntu on PPC is streets ahead of other distros in my opinion and to me Xubuntu is the No.1 choice whether you've got a newish G5 or some old iMac that was found in a skip (dumpster). With Apple moving to x86, used PPC machines have become really cheap and there is likely to be increasing interest in *Ubuntu on PPC. It just seems a very short sighted business decision to me when there is massive interest in *Ubuntu on Intel Macs and most owners are unlikely to see the distinction anyway

I've also been a bit surprised by a few negative Mac comments on the #xubuntu channel. This seems very odd to me in the Linux community.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but at least you can hopefully understand why there's possibly a lack of interest.

Graeme
aka grazie

Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote: Hello All,

Thanks for your recent help in testing the Xubuntu nightlies.  We have had a few good tests submitted, and people have been filing bug reports when certain portions of their tests have failed.

With those things in mind, it would be great if we could get a few more tests submitted.  We especially need tests on machines with 64-bit and PPC processors.  If you are having trouble submitting your tests via the wiki, please feel free to email me directly, or look for j1mc on the #xubuntu channel on IRC, and I will help you.  As Herd 5 is set to be released on the 1st of March, we really only have up through tomorrow to get our tests submitted.

Per someone's request, I'll be adding a section to the bottom of the /Xubuntu/Testing/Current page of the wiki where you can document the bugs that you have experienced.  Of course, bugs should also be checked in Launchpad, too.  Please look for this bug-related information to be added within the next day.

If you have any other suggestions for improvements to the testing pages, please let me know.  Thanks again for all of your help!

Regards,

Jim

P.S.  The link to the introduction page for Xubuntu testing is:   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing  Thanks.  :)

--