[xubuntu-users] New to Xubuntu/Linux

Graeme Pietersz fgpietersz at uk2.net
Wed Feb 28 17:41:03 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 22:19, Zeke wrote:
> I am new to the Linux, I have worked with Macintosh and of course WinXX.  I
> have installed two version of Linux on two different computers.  Ubuntu and
> Xubuntu.  In Ubuntu to browse a network, I can do either a SMB:\\ command
> or pick to browse the network.  I am unable to do the same in Xubuntu.
> I've browsed the help documents as well as the user posed stuff.  Nothing
> that I can find shows me how.  Is there a program I need to install?

I think it is fair to say that there is a price to pay for Xubuntu being so
lightweight. A lot of stuff that is built into Ubuntu and Kubuntu will be
missing. smb:// should work in both the heavier desktops, as do various other
things.

I assume you are actualy stuck with a Windows network? There are other ways to
share folders other than SMB - and I think they can even interoperate with
Windows given the right software on the Windows machines. I do not know much
about this (simple sftp suffices for me), but there are sure to be people on
this list, and at the Ubuntu forums, who do!