[xubuntu-users] How to force network interface assignment

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Tue Feb 13 06:27:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:15:08 -0500
"Bradly J. McConnell" <bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
Thanks Brad.  Do you know how /etc/iftab and udev rules interact?  I
just looked at my /etc/iftab settings and they are set to reflect
the original way XU was installed before I added a udev rule to
define the interface. Although /etc/iftab is opposite of my udev
rules, the udev rules are the working configuration once the system
finishes booting.

As your example shows, iftab says it assigns persistent names to
network interfaces.  I wonder then if it's actually necessary to go
through the trouble of writing a new udev rule.  Just edit iftab?
And if you edit iftab do you still need to
change /etc/network/interfaces?

I see that the iftab man page refers to another tool ifrename but
that one is not included in XU and synaptic doesn't find it either.

It would be helpful if the XU developers included a step in the
installation process where the user was given the option of how to
identify the various network interfaces found during the hardware
scan.

John