[xubuntu-users] How to force network interface assignment

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Tue Feb 13 06:02:27 UTC 2007

Thanks Josh, I found serveral good URL's for instructions how to
write the needed udev rules.  Two helpful ones were:

http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2006/01/04/managing-multiple-nics-in-linux/
http://www.mepis.org/node/10770

For anyone else who might need it this is what I did.  After using
udevinfo to get some details (see the URLs above)  I created a file
named 11-local.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/

In it I put the following two lines (a bit of overkill since it
would be enough to force one of the interfaces)

KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="address for device",NAME="eth1"
KERNEL=="eth*",SYSFS{address}=="address for device",NAME="eth0"

where "address for device" is the actual mac address (with quotes)

The other thing I had to do was go back to /etc/network/interfaces
and edit that file to reflect eth1 as the wireless interface since
during installation XU saw it as eth0.  My new "interfaces" file now
looks like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo eth1
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

iface eth1 inet dhcp
# wireless-* options are implemented by the wireless-tools package
	wireless-essid xxxx
        wireless-mode managed
        wireless-key1 xxxxxxxxxxxx

iface eth0 inet dhcp

"man 5 interfaces" helped me clean up the file.

Now , gkrellm and the Xfce4 panel plugins work consistently and
things are back on track.  Thanks again for the pointer.  John