[xubuntu-users] How to force network interface assignment

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Tue Feb 13 01:22:56 UTC 2007

I just installed XU Edgy on my ThinkPad T23; a clean install
instead of trying to upgrade the existing XU Dapper.  Gave me a
chance to do several things I've wanted to do, like tweak partitions
and so on, but I have to say that XU just keeps growing from strength
to strength.  XU Edgy is great stuff.

Anyway, as always, there are some issues to sort out and one of them
is how to force XU to assign the wireless card to eth1 instead of
sometimes assigning it to eth0.  So far I haven't found anything
through googling, at least not that answers this specific issue.
I've tried to edit /etc/network/interfaces but that doesn't govern
which interface is assigned to which piece of hardware.  I've looked
in the udev rules but if the answer is there I haven't found it. If
possible I'd like eth1 to always be the wireless card and eth0 to
always be the built in NIC.  Can anyone point me to an explanation of
how to do this?  Many thanks.  John