[xubuntu-users] is it possible to control mouse via keyboard?

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Tue Feb 6 02:30:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:

> Dnia Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:36:43AM -0800, napisale(a)s:
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
>
>>> Not sure, but I thought that Xorg has it build in -- just press
>>> alt+ctrl+numlock (or something like that) and you can use your numpad
>>> to move the mouse. shift+key moves in smaller increments, ctrl+key move
>>> in larger, there is even "button lock" for drag and drop...
>
>>> Can't test it right now to recall the key combination and see if it's
>>> not disabled in xubuntu though :(
>
>> Doesn't work for me. I always swap <CTRL> and <CAPS LOCK> (old-school Unix)
>> which may confuse anything that uses the ctrl key.
>
> I just checked it. It's shift+(left)alt+NumLock. You should hear a beep
> when you enable this.

Interesting. Didn't work for me, nor all the other combinations I tried.

Anyway, I don't want a hard-coded map. I really want something I can control.

I'm liking the earlier suggestion that someone made re an old keyboard made by
IBM that had a miniature joystick in the center, like some thinkpads do.
Perhaps I can hack one of those into my standard keyboard.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Michael