[xubuntu-users] Force XU Edgy Desktop install to use 2.4 kernel?

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Fri Feb 2 01:11:44 UTC 2007

Is there a way to force a particular kernel during an XU install
using the Edgy Desktop disk?

I think I need to start with the 2.4 kernel on a Portege 3490CT.  So
far when I use a 2.6 kernel the laptop locks up either during the
post install boot or after running a little while, with an error
message: "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)"  I've installed another distribution that let's me
specify the kernel (Arch, a great distro BTW) and when I use 2.4
the Portege runs fine. The Xubuntu Alternate disk media check
says the disk is okay but install dies part way through the process.
Edgy installs okay from the Desktop disk but locks up later, and I'm
guessing it used the 2.6 kernel by default, what else, and that might
be my problem.

The Portege passed 15 hrs of Memtest so I don't think it's a faulty
RAM problem.  I have also come across references to a conflict between
Linux and the Portege BIOS but can't find anything substantive.
Another reference mentions having to patch the kernel to work with the
Toshiba external multimedia port replicator
(http://www.manfred-kunde.de/projekte/nb_toshiba.html) which I have
and which might be related.  Anyway, I'd like to try XU Edgy but with
a 2.4 kernel, if that's possible.

Thanks, John