[xubuntu-users] How to generate German special chars

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Apr 25 13:04:21 UTC 2007

On 2007-04-25, Joachim Ziegler wrote:

> I am using 7.10 and an IBM T21 with an English keyboard.
>
> Is there an easy way to generate German special chars like the "Umlauts"
> and the "Sharp S"?

Depends on what you consider "easy".  I added the compose:rwin option
to the keyboard stanza of my xorg.conf file, which now looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Then I can generate German characters (for example)
by pressing rwin + " + vowel or rwin + s + s.

(Unfortunately it doesn't work in emacs running in an xterm, and I've
never figured out how to fix that.)