Addition of a music player app

Yousuf Philips ypharis at gmail.com
Sun May 16 18:35:51 UTC 2021

Hi Team,

As part of my research[1] of other flavors and Xfce distros, it was clear
that Xubuntu was missing a music player app, as parole isn't a
suitable replacement. Xubuntu previously shipped the Exaile music player
until 2016, as it became unmaintained. Here are some possible music players
that can be added to the next release of Xubuntu.

1. rhythmbox (8,473kb): The recommended option as it is in regular
development and is used by flavors (gnome, mate, budgie) as well as xfce
distros (mint, manjaro, mx).
2. pragha (2,293kb): Lighter weight than rhythmbox, used in opensuse xfce,
and last released in Feb 2019.
3. exile[2]: Was upgraded to a gtk3 and gstreamer 1 in 2019 and is getting
regular updates, but isn't in debian and possibly we wouldn't want to get
bitten by this again.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/145vm29WnxgYm4Y_8guaGDAblZT5sRjZ3jhKRktgX1No/edit#gid=0
[2] https://exaile.org/