Why dropbox icon isn't shown correctly on Xubuntu?

Thanos Apostolou thanosapostolou at outlook.com
Sat Mar 25 13:48:13 UTC 2017

Dropbox icon isn't shown correctly on Xubuntu 17.04 (also affects 14.04,
15.10, 16.04, 16.10). See the image: http://imgur.com/a/0DnjJ

In order to work properly, dropbox is needed to run with the command
`dbus-launch dropbox start`. The bug report that I found is this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-dropbox/+bug/1546176

This can really scare new users away and it's one of the reasons I
prefer to recommend Ubuntu MATE rather than Xubuntu on new linux users.

I've tested xfce in many distros (manjaro/arch, opensuse, fedora) and
this affects only Xubuntu. Why is that? Is it because of the indicators?
Is there any possible fix that you can do? Maybe for example add your
own `xubuntu-dropbox` package which replaces the `dropbox` command with
`dbus-launch dropbox`, so that Dropbox works out of the box (without
user intervention)?

Tell me what you think.