Font Feedback for Xenial

Sean Davis smd.seandavis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 03:24:02 UTC 2016

Hey everyone!

In case you haven't seen, the font we've been using for years (Droid Sans)
is being deprecated in favor of "Noto" [1].  We're considering the switch
to "Noto Sans 9" as the new default font going forward.  We'd like your
feedback!

To take it for a spin, follow these steps:
1) Install the "fonts-noto-hinted" and "fonts-noto-mono" packages
2) Go to Settings > Appearance > Fonts. Change the default font to "Noto
Sans", "Regular", "9"
3) Go to Settings > Window Manager > Style.  Change the title font to "Noto
Sans", "Bold", "9"

Then just go on and use your computer as you normally would.  It's not
substantially different, but we'd like the feedback nonetheless.  Reply to
this list or swing by #xubuntu-devel to let us know your experience.

Note:  While the font size is indeed changing from 10 to 9, the actual
height (and thus the overall size) of the fonts is almost identical.
However,  if the font size feels too small or otherwise not legible enough,
please give us feedback about that too.

Thanks!
Sean (bluesabre)

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-February/039159.html