Ideas for the Xubuntu desktop (Was: [TEAM] Gathering "testimonials" for marketing purposes)

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 22:31:51 UTC 2016

Another thought: I was looking at Zorin OS. They have a few desktop
configurations (XP, 7, 2000, Mac OS).

Something like that would be cool. (Not mimicking Windows that tightly,
but, making what's available in other distros available in Xubuntu -- with
a click?).

Again, I was focusing on the word "marketing" and "testimonial." I was
thinking a broader user base is being sought, more testimonials,
popularity, etc. I'm sure people like Xubuntu the way it is (or it wouldn't
exist at all). But, I see these other flavors and (to me) they seem
"updated," more responsive to what I would think "most people" would like.

So, I was trying to get at that. Whether that box is ever re-opened and
things that are accepted as "this is Xubuntu" are reconsidered. Jack's
response implied an either/or choice (and that the box isn't subject to
being re-opened).

Zorin's approach might be a neat way to reach more people without
disturbing those who like how Xubuntu is. If I knew how to do it, I'd do
it. I have a lot of free time. But, creating different desktop versions
like that is beyond me.

It just seems like a shame that to get something more modern/intuitive, a
person has to give up the larger ubuntuforums community support (and go
with Mint). That's an either/or choice too. I think it's unfortunate.
That's all I'm saying. I'd like to see Xubuntu reach a broader audience,
make MintX less of a competitor. (It's already less due to the smaller
community. But, it appeals to people for *some* reason. If it's all just
configuration/design, it wouldn't seem hard to *do* and create that path
for those users. More testimonials... more marketing?).