Ideas for the Xubuntu desktop (Was: [TEAM] Gathering "testimonials" for marketing purposes)

Mark F azdays15 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 22:05:29 UTC 2016

Pasi wrote: """ That said, I don't understand how such surveys could
replace testimonials or how they are comparable. """

What I am trying to get at is that testimonials and marketing imply
increasing "market" share. But, testimonials only query those who are
already sold -- not those who preferred a different Xfce implementation.

A survey would presumably ask people (the potential "market") what they
don't like about Xubuntu (why they chose a different Xfce-based distro). I
see it as a difference between the proverbial "preaching to the choir" or
expanding the target audience (maybe hearing things that aren't wanted).

What if a survey were included with the ISO ("test drive") environment? If
someone chose to install a different distro, they could have the
opportunity to explain what about Xubuntu they didn't like? (Or, what they
liked about the other distro.).

It's just a thought.

To me, I would have installed MintX if it had Ubuntu's support community.
You said most of what I mentioned is configurable. But, it's not very
intuitive. If it were that simple, why not include a "make-desktop-mint"
command to set the defaults for a MintX-like experience?

This topic (testimonials and marketing) caught my eye because it sounded
like a desire to expand marketshare. But, maybe I misread it. I suppose
another valid way to look at it is: "Xubuntu is what it is" and "we're
looking for more people who like it the way it is." Not so much concern for
why someone wouldn't want it the way it is (lost "market" potential).

Anyway, I'm using it for now. I want to at least start with what I feel is
the more official Xfce distro. I just saw this topic and thought I'd ask
about marketing and the opposite of testimonials. It seems like that could
lead to insight into how Xubuntu could appeal to more people.

Thanks.