[TEAM] Reviewing the "Seeds & Composition" section on the Strategy Document

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Mon Mar 16 14:12:29 UTC 2015

On 16/03/15 15:57, Elfy wrote:
> On 16/03/15 13:38, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> Hello team,
>>
>> it's time to review and discuss the last section on the Xubuntu Strategy
>> Document that hasn't been updated during the "modern" Xubuntu times;
>> Seeds & Composition.
>>
>> I've attached both the current and the new, proposed version to this
>> message.
>>
>> The proposed version has been mostly drafted with Unit193 and has
>> briefly gone through Sean and Simon.
>>
>> Time to discuss.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>

> I can almost ack that as it is ...
>
> One point only - I've never bothered to mention previously, but if
> we're re-working it then I will now.
>
> Imagine that there is an application - that would be just be the best
> thing since sliced bread, but no-one's bothered about translations -
> at all. Only available in English.
>
> Assuming that all other points are ok.
>
> Does
>
> * Localization. Does the application have translations in the most
> commonly used languages?
>
> or the new
>
> * Localization
>
> mean that no-one gets the package?

Neither of this means that we can't include the package. Localization is
probably one of the easiest things to fix as well. Lowering resource
consumption is a completely different beast.

As the document says, it's an aspect to be considered, not something
that alone is a reason not to include or not include the package. The
big picture of a package is more important than one of the aspects.

As an example, consider the Mozilla applications we are shipping; they
aren't exactly the lightest alternatives, but they have other qualities
(usability, usefullness, reliability, localization) that count for them
and ultimately, make them worth seeding and make them fit the Xubuntu
mission statement. It's all about the balance, none of the areas of
focus (defined earlier in the document) is more important than the other
really.

Do people think that we should explain some of this in the Strategy
Document?

Cheers,
Pasi

--