Installed Games

Sean Davis smd.seandavis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 12:34:26 UTC 2015

As we only ship two games, and both are small, I don't see much of a gain
by removing gnome-mines or gnome-sudoku.  I feel that including games in
the default installation makes Xubuntu feel more human-oriented (not quite
as dry as others have mentioned).  The argument exists that users can
install whichever games they want at any time... but simple games like
Mines and Sudoku are meant to be quick diversions as opposed to time sinks
like some of the larger titles.

As they function for me, I fire them up while waiting for other things to
happen (like an installation to finish).  No extra packages to install, no
extra work to be done.  Click the menu, open the game, play, and continue
as I was before.  Others may use these games to the same effect.

Size-wise, the games seem to only be a few MB (this is not the definitive
measure by any means)...

$ sudo apt-get autoremove gnome-mines gnome-sudoku
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-mines gnome-sudoku
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3,285 kB disk space will be freed.

Thanks.
- Sean