Proposal on mailing list changes

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Wed May 14 21:25:21 UTC 2014

Hello,

For a more complete history on the issue, refer to the discussion on
organizing mailing lists [1].

THE PROPOSAL, with arguments

After I've talked with many team members, most of us tend to think we
have enough lists already. Most would prefer to simply increase the
quality and appropriateness on the development list as well as keep the
traffic on a desirable level instead of creating a new list. In
addition, continuing with the same lists keeps the archives in one place.

While it can be a bit laborious at the beginning, I think the best way
to increase the aforementioned attributes for the development list is to
enable the moderation flag for all current and new subscribers,
excluding Xubuntu team members. Setting the moderation flag instead of
limiting subscriptions also makes the list more accessible for people
and helps us keep the transparency at a reasonable level.

Practically this means all email from non-team members will have to be
manually moderated and approved or declined as appropriate.

We should correspond with every person who sends an inappropriate
(non-spam) mail to the list discussing the reasons and the appropriate
action for them. This can be done by editing the automatic "declined
email" reply template and using the equivalent action instead of
discarding all inappropriate emails.

We have recently grown the moderator team on both of our lists, so the
additional workload shouldn't cause excessive burden to any individual
moderator. As long as we communicate the change clearly and have the
patience to keep moderating and corresponding, I believe the amount of
inappropriate mails will slowly start to decrease.

Moreover, when other people not in the team have proven they have been
sending appropriate mails to the list, we can disable their moderation
flag, which further decreases the amount of mail to moderate. Naturally,
we can also disable the moderation flag for other known and trusted
developers to the list as needed.

THE SUMMARY

1) Keep the lists we have now
2) Enable the moderation flag for all current and new subscribers,
excluding the Xubuntu team
3) Correspond with senders as needed via the mailman Decline feature
4) Disable the moderation flag for other trusted senders and developers

THE DISCUSSION

Go ahead.

Cheers,
Pasi