Translators: Ready, steady, GO!

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Mar 25 14:27:29 UTC 2014

Hello Xubuntu contributors and users all around the world!

As you might know, we have somewhat recently rewritten most of our
documentation. The work to improve the documentation has continued this
cycle as well.

Apart from content, we have made some progress on the technical side,
and we're happy to tell you that the documentation is now translatable
(since quite some time) but also that we will ship the translated
documentation with Xubuntu! In addition to the documentation, our
installer slideshow is also updated and needs new translations.

This is where we need you to step in.

TRANSLATING THE XUBUNTU DOCUMENTATION AND INSTALLER SLIDESHOW

To get started with translating the Xubuntu documentation, you will need
to have a registered Launchpad account. After you have set that up, go
to the appropriate translation page in Launchpad:

Documentation: https://translations.launchpad.net/xubuntu-docs
Installer slideshow:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/ubiquity-slideshow-xubuntu

Before you do translations, you will need to remember some guidelines:
    -- If you are unsure about a translation, you can either suggest a
translation or leave it untranslated
    -- GUI labels and application names should always be actual labels,
not free translations
    -- Always follow the Ubuntu Translators instructions [1]
    -- There might be some guidelines and commonly used terms in your
language team, you should adhere to them

You are ready to start translating!

DEADLINES AND CUT-OFFS

The deadline for translations is April 3rd. This leaves us enough time
to land the new package upload with the updated translation to make it
to the final 14.04 release. Furthermore, the translation cut-off
percentage for the documentation is 80%; only translations with 80% or
more translated strings will be shipped.

We acknowledge this is a tight schedule, especially for the complete
Xubuntu documentation. However, we do think that it is completely
possibly to do it in the time given especially if multiple people per
language start working on a translation. Ultimately, nothing is in vain:
We will be updating the packages with our point releases. This gives you
a full six months to translate the documentation into your language and
get it included with the first point release of Trusty, 14.04.1, to
released in October.

If you have any questions about translating itself, any technical detail
or any other question related to translations, feel free to be in touch
with us either via #xubuntu-devel
<http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=xubuntu-devel>on Freenode, or the
Xubuntu developer mailing list [2].

Happy translating!

On behalf of the Xubuntu documentation team,
Pasi Lallinaho

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/