[TEAM] Drop XChat for 14.10

Jack Fromm jack at jjfro.com
Tue Jul 29 13:28:16 UTC 2014

On 07/29/2014 08:10 AM, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:
> Hey Xubuntu team members,
>
> we started voting on a proposal for the default IRC client in today's
> meeting[0].
>
> In short, what we're voting on is whether to drop XChat for Xubuntu
> 14.10.
>
> == Rationale ==
>
> Those who need IRC can still use pidgin and this is a consistent move
> in terms of streamlining our default applications (remember the
> dropping of GThumb in 14.04).
> This decision would be revisited for 15.04, so if we'd see the need, we
> could re-add XChat (or hexchat).
>
> == Voting ==
>
> Just reply with +1, 0 or -1 to this thread – you can obviously also
> explain why you voted one or the other way. So far, we have 4 votes
> from team members for the proposal to drop XChat and 0 against (and 0
> abstained).
>
> Please note that ONLY XUBUNTU TEAM MEMBERS CAN VOTE. Other votes are
> ignored, so please don't send a vote and waste bandwidth unless you are
> an active member of the Xubuntu team [1].
>
> == End of vote ==
>
> This vote will expire in one week (June 6th, 10:00 UTC), so please send
> in your votes in a timely manner.
>
> Cheers
> Simon
> Xubuntu Project Lead
>
> [0]
> http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/xubuntu-devel/2014/xubuntu-devel.2014-07-29-10.30.log.txt
> [1]https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-team/+members#active

0
I don't feel strongly about this one.  On the one hand, I guess if it
streamlined the default apps that would be a good thing.  On the other
hand, I don't have a good feel for how it would affect the new or casual
user.  I do know if I was new to Xubuntu and wanting to get involved and
saw that the recommendation was to use Pidgin, I would have probably
said "no thank you".