Xubuntu target audience and development focus (Was: Re: Default application for IRC)

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Jul 15 18:33:26 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-15 20:57, James Freer wrote:
> As there's no shortage of space on the DVD iso Xubuntu could offer a
> setup version of emacs with email, irc (ERC), Org and other stuff.

Just because there is space is a bad argument. With that argument, you
could argue that anything in the repositories is suitable for including
and ask it being added. There needs to be some more substance into it.

In addition to that, Xubuntu does not target users with specific skill
sets or aptitudes (direct quote from the Strategy Document [1]),
including users who wish to use Emacs to do everything and anything.

Please let's try to keep our target audience and our areas of focus in
mind and avoid any unnecessary traffic on the development list.

Kindly,
Pasi

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#The_Target