How to fix Xubuntu 12.04.4?

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 01:11:31 UTC 2014

Very interesting food fight (not trying to criticize anyone specifically).

The issue, IMO, is that some of the 'buntus seem to have a have fuzzy
marketing concepts and no real plans.  We might possibly agree that
Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Studio seem to have well-defined
audiences.  Ubuntu Gnome and Kubuntu seem to be there for die-hard Gnome
and KDE fans.  "Ubuntu" (Unity) seeks to conquer all of the other 'buntu
flavors (one ring to bind them all?); time will tell whether this is a
good idea or not.  What about Xubuntu and Lubuntu?  Why are there two
lightweight distributions?  Fan base (one for XFCE and the other for
LXDE)?  Probably.

I am a programmer.  Personally, I like Gnome, XFCE, and LXDE so it was a
close call for me - Ubuntu Gnome versus Lubuntu versus Xubuntu.  The
shared Ubuntu infrastructure (E.g. Ubiquity installer) has been, for the
last 5 years, the best distro infrastructure at detecting a variety of
hardware (especially graphics cards) which is very important to me.

Small and simple is beautiful.  So, five years ago, I centered on one
flavor of Ubuntu: Xubuntu.  In the subsequent 10 installations for
friends and family (no other programmers but me), this is what I used in
their behalf.  Everyone liked the simplicity and clarity of the XFCE
desktop.  I was probably a bad boy and influenced them but there you
are.  Personally, I've used Gnome heavily in the past and could go back
to it but I prefer to stay in sync with people that I consult for.

Those of you who think that XFCE is for a certain class of machines, I
am in disagreement.  For me, it is a matter of personal aesthetics, what
you are used to, and who is influencing you.  Don't tell me that certain
programs or libraries are only available on certain desktops because
that is not true; anyone can install components of any Ubuntu distro
they want regardless of desktop type given sufficient storage.

Suggestion: Instead of arguing about the purpose of each Ubuntu distro,
why not start a project to define these different distros in terms of
marketing purpose?  You may wind up with a surprising new perspective at
the end of this process.

Richard