How can I donate money specifically to Xubuntu?

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 30 03:22:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Andre Macdonald
<andremacdonald2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Xubuntu is brilliant, I started looking for how I could donate money
> but only came up with the generic Ubuntu donations page. I far prefer XFCE
> to Unity and Xubuntu to Ubuntu in general.
>
> I realize Xubuntu is base on Ubuntu and I am appreciative of the Ubuntu
> developers and financial backers for that. But to be honest I do not want to
> encourage the development of Unity in any way.
>
> Is there a way I can specifically donate money to Xubuntu?

Thank you for your kind words!

Others can chime in here, but the Xubuntu team is not an organization
so there isn't really a specific place you can donate to directly to
the team. But there are a few options:

When downloading Ubuntu from ubuntu.com, there is a "Community
projects" section which sets aside a portion for community work, such
as flavors like Xubuntu (described here:
http://community.ubuntu.com/help-information/funding/). Xubuntu has
not dipped into this fund yet, but we may in the future.

You can also get involved with the team and help support one of our
marketing initiatives. Sometimes I'll work with a vendor to print up
t-shirts or flyers, and this is done out of pocket and then folks
within the community will pitch in to help me out.

Finally, you could also support an organization that is *deploying*
Xubuntu. We've profiled a couple on our site:

http://xubuntu.org/news/tag/xubuntu-at/

http://www.freegeek.org/ and http://partimus.org have also done
Xubuntu deployments (disclaimer: I'm on the board of directors for
Partimus)

http://www.princessleia.com