Update of the minimum requierements

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 28 07:28:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Richard Elkins
<richard.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will,
>
> Not to discourage you .....

Uh oh, no response, I fear we may have scared him off :)

> Performance test plan?
>
> Goals/design
> Individual tests
> What do you intend to hold constant and what will you vary?
> VM host machine environment E.g. hardware CPU/GPU/chip-sets, Linux kernel
> video module, X-Windows video driver
> VM settings to be used (chipset, EFI, display, etc.)

These are very good points so in an attempt to move this along...

I'll start off by saying that we do now recommend a user have 512M of
RAM once it's installed, which might be OK.

Also worthy of note, we offer 32 and 64-bit versions. 64-bit tends to
take more RAM so we'll want to pay attention to that.

Now, I'd like to propose the following testing plan that it would be
great to see results from a few folks for to test a random smattering
of CPUs and other factors:

Test 1: 12.04 Alternate CD, 32 & 64-bit

Our website claims you can install 12.04 Alternate on 64M of RAM, I'm
skeptical but we should start here :)

Use the 12.04 Alternate CD installer on a VM with 64M of RAM and a
single CPU - I suspect the installer will finish but will it even
boot?

If not, add RAM by increments of 64M of RAM until you get a system
that boots and you can log in to.

Report results (remember, we say 512M once it's installed, so if it's
slow that might be ok)

Test 2: 12.04 Live CD, 32 & 64-bit

Our website claims you can install 12.04 standard on 256M of RAM, this
may be possible - let's try! Same methodology as above.

Test 3: 13.10 Live CD, 32 & 64-bit

Did 12.04 work on 256M? Can 13.10 as well? Let's try! Same methodology as above.

These tests will take time, so if you want to just do one of these
tests - great, reply with your results of that one test and enjoy your
week! Every test done will be helpful in determining where we stand.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.princessleia.com