New proposed Strategy Document

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 7 00:38:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Joshua O'Leary <jmoey139 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> It mentions C++ programs as being unsuitable, but this is clearly not the case as core components
> (such as apt and software-centre, and now even gcc) are coded in C++, in addition to python being used quite heavily.
> Whilst C is a great language (I often code in it myself), these restrictions seem a bit unnecessary.

Yeah, we actually discussed this as we were going through the
document. I'm still on the fence about it.

This is meant to be a list of guidelines and things we should
*consider* when proposing default applications, not a hard and fast
rule. In general we actually would accept an application written in
C++ if it was sufficiently fast in relation to the alternatives and
satisfied other requirements we had. Honestly, in this world of GUI
applications written in Python, I think C++ is not so bad.

http://www.princessleia.com