Wow, Introduction, and Wine

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 26 18:07:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak at helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On tiistai 26 maaliskuu 2013, Jackson Doak wrote:
>> wine is huge, and is updated to frequently to be a proper default
>> program. i forget the rest of the reasons, but someone will know.
>
> What programs work with it can change quite radically with the Wine
> versions, as can readily be seen from the Wine AppDB.  It would just
> give people false expectations about what thing work.

Exactly.

And I've never seen it as the "elephant in the room." I don't like the
idea of catering specifically to Windows users who still want to use
Windows applications (indeed, it's not consistent with our Strategy
Document[0]). We're an open source project and we offer many open
source options for software between what's default and what's
available via the software center. If individuals wish to continue
using software designed for Windows I think that's really up to them.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com