Introducing myself - joining Xubuntu Community

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Thu Jul 11 14:23:29 UTC 2013

On 11/07/13 17:13, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Pasi Lallinaho
> <pasi at shimmerproject.org <mailto:pasi at shimmerproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/07/13 16:23, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>
>     This means I want to see your contributions on one area first.
>     That's a more valuable contribution than doing a bit here and
>     another there.
>
>     There is no limitations here, but please try to understand that
>     the right way to build trust amongst the community is to start small.
>

> I can not deny that I'm a bit disappointed that whether someone has
> previous experience or has nothing, he/she must go through one and
> only process and there is no exceptions :)

Just to make it clear, of course your background makes a difference.
That decides what kind of tasks we can assign to you and what kind of
tasks we can expect you to deliver.

However, it's the social aspect of a community where you need to build
trust and confidence. In this respect all new contributors are on the
same line and do need to go through the same processes. This combined
with the fact that all kinds of skills are needed on the team keeps
everybody equal, whatever their background -- and that's something for
the open source projects to celebrate.

> It seems that Xubuntu Community follow this: "Action Speak Louder Than
> Words." which is totally fine by me, I like that motto.
>
> I am not sure why the procedure is strict but I totally respect that.
> I guess, I need to learn and understand that despite both Xubuntu and
> Lubuntu share the same core system (Ubuntu) but each community has
> different approaches to handle itself. Totally understood. Forget the
> past, look at the future and use what you have learned to move
> forward. Done!
>
> Short version answer: Okay :)
>

>     As I've said before, all contributions are welcome, thus: welcome
>     to the community.
>

> Thank you!
>

>     (With teams we have a contributions first, membership then
>     -policy. Don't worry about that too much. If you contribute, you
>     will sooner or later get the memberships and eventually, a
>     possible Xubuntu team membership. To read more about this policy,
>     look into our Strategy Document [1].)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Pasi
>
>     [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu_Team
>

> This is a long Wiki Page. I will go through it (not now) and come back
> with Qs in case there will be any :)
>
> Thank you once more for your time!
>
> Ali
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad