GTK3 Indicators

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Sat Dec 14 23:04:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:07:45 -0600
Richard Elkins <richard.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I followed all instructions in the link 'to the letter' .....
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-devel/2013-December/009521.html
> ===>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Trusty/Gtk3Indicators
>
> i.e.
>
>   * sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>   * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shimmerproject/daily
>   * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noskcaj/indicator-gtk3
>   * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12
>   * sudo apt-get update
>   * sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>   * sudo apt-get install indicator-power indicator-bluetooth indicator-datetime indicator-keyboard indicator-printers indicator-sound indicator-sync indicator-messages
>   * sudo apt-get purge indicator-sound-gtk2 indicator-application-gtk2

Could you share your package-versions of xfce4-indicator-plugin, xfce4-panel and libxfce4ui with us (just to be sure)? (either use something like synaptic or "apt-cache policy $packagename" from the commandline)

When you say, you have "no dice", do you mean that there are no indicators at all in your panel?
"Date/Time" is somewhat ambigious, do you mean the panel-plugin or really the indicator-datetime? (Check in the panel-preferences > items to see what it is)

And just one more mention: some of these indicators only show conditionally, e.g. bluetooth only if you have bt in your laptop/desktop, printers only if a printer gets connected.

You can also skim through the logs in ~/.cache/upstart/startxfce4.log and see whether you find anything suspicious.

Cheers,
Simon